Sinus Surgery at Texas Sinus & Snoring
As a leading sinus surgeon in Houston, where sinus and nasal problems are common, Dr. Cilento’s primary focus lies in his expertise of the nose. He specifically treats paranasal sinuses, associated breathing problems, nasal reconstruction and acute and chronic sinus diseases. Getting cured and looking good as a result of it is at the heart of everything he does.
Diagnosing chronic sinusitis is an easy and painless process that uses modern CT scanning technology. Scanning for diagnosis only takes a matter of seconds and is done right here in our office. Following the scan, patients can discuss diagnosis, options, and treatment directly with Dr. Cilento. Dr. Cilento has a huge wealth of experience when it comes to dealing with issues of acute and chronic sinus disease.
Types of Nasal Congestion Treatments
Nasal congestion can lead to other illnesses and ailments. For example, you may be feeling lethargic because you are not breathing properly at night. The best procedures consider cosmetic and functional results at the same time. Some of the treatment options we offer are:
- Nasal Valve Reconstruction – Improving nasal airflow through reconstruction of a narrowed or weakened area of nasal airflow. Considering the long and short-term cosmetic impact of this procedure is a crucial element of Dr. Cilento’s unique approach.
- Septoplasty – This procedure repairs and straightens a crooked septum to improve the nasal passage and is more than just functional repair. Cosmetic considerations are a big part of an excellent Septoplasty.
- Turbinate Reduction – Enlarged inferior turbinates often cause nasal congestion. This procedure reduces turbinates for better breathing. Turbinate surgery is used to treat nasal congestion when other non-surgical options have failed. Most turbinate reductions are painless and don’t require pain medication after the procedure.
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery – Dr. Cilento uses the latest video-aided technologies (endoscope) to help improve the drainage-patterns of the paranasal sinuses. Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) is certainly the best way to treat most sinusitis and other nasal problems.
- Balloon Sinuplasty – This modern technology can be used with some patients to reduce invasion and assists with opening the para-nasal sinuses preserving the surrounding anatomy. Dr. Cilento always advises the minimalist approach where possible to preserve your features, unless you are considering improving them with combined options.
- Reconstruction after Mohs Surgery for Skin Cancer – Restoring and replacing removed skin where skin cancer was removed is also a very important cosmetic procedure to support full recovery after skin cancer removal. Dr. Cilento applies his experience as a plastic surgeon when treating removal procedures.
Complex Revision Sinus Surgery
Complex revision sinus surgery is the skilled diagnosis and management of recurrent sinus disease and skull base lesions. Patients go through this type of surgery if their first surgery was unsuccessful and didn’t fix the original problem or new issues have arisen. From pre-operative planning, Dr. Cilento will recommend the relevant surgical techniques to provide an all-in-one solution for patients with a history of treatments and procedures.
Skull Base Tumors
It is important to realize that skull base tumors can come in a variety of types and forms. For this reason, Dr. Cilento uses modern scanning technology to not only locate tumors but also select the best procedure for their removal. Modern minimally invasive techniques utilizing access through the nostrils greatly facilitates the removal of skull base tumors and repair other disorders at the same time.
Common breathing problems normally arise from a variety of different problems. Functional Rhinoplasty involves surgical rectification to several nasal structures, including the septum (middle wall of the nose), the turbinate (the structures that regulate airflow), and natural narrowing of the nose (the external and internal nasal valves).